Saturday 16 February 2013

Cupcake Cafe & Bakery

Today I had my first ever gluten-free eating out experience. This was a really big step for me. My friends and I decided to visit the Cupcake Cafe and Bakery in Leek, Staffordshire and this is where I sampled my first gluten-free cupcake.


The Cupcake Cafe is a small, friendly cafe situated at the end of a cobbled courtyard in the centre of town. Although slightly off the beaten track (it's behind another building) it's well worth the visit. You can either sit in or take-out and they also do celebration cakes and special orders if you have a birthday or occasion and need to buy in bulk. The cafe provides a wide range of delicious cupcakes and cakes all home made on site (and also sandwiches and soups) but in the past year have also introduced a dairy and gluten-free cupcake of the week. Every week the flavour changes and this week the cupcake of choice happened to be Bakewell - I therefore couldn't wait to give it a try.


Check out the beautiful vintage-style china too!

I have to say this is one of the nicest cupcakes I have ever had and as it was my first ever taste of gluten-free cupcake I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really couldn't tell the difference between a normal cupcake and gluten-free. The sponge was lovely and light, yet moist, with a jam centre and the vanilla icing (dairy free) was rich and creamy - topped off nicely with a cherry - perfect. I enjoyed it so much that I had to buy a second cupcake to take home for later!

If you are ever passing through Leek I would definitely recommend you stop at the Cupcake Cafe and give their tasty treats a try. I wonder what the flavour next week will be...

www.cupcakecafe.co.uk/ or www.facebook.com/CupcakeCafeandBakery


No comments:

Post a Comment