Thursday 7 February 2013

Let's go gluten-free

At the weekend I attempted my first ever gluten free shop at Sainsbury’s in preparation for Monday (my first day gluten free). It did seem a little daunting at first walking in to the supermarket clutching my shopping list and not having a clue where to start. But as I had made a list of exactly everything that I needed to get me through the first few days (breakfast, packed lunches for work, and a couple of evening meals that me and my non-Coeliac husband could both eat) there was no way I was going to stray from the list. 

The first thing I can say is the shop took me about twice as long to do because I was reading every single label on every item I wanted to buy but I did expect this. Surprisingly I found pretty much everything I needed and it was nowhere near as stressful as I thought shopping might be. With a bit of practice I'm sure I'll be zooming around the supermarket once I know what I like and can eat.

The price of gluten-free bread, however, is a killer – I paid £2.90 for a half loaf of Genius bread, which, compared to a full size loaf of ‘normal’ bread which I could have got for roughly 80p (supermarket own brand) seems daylight robbery to someone who has no choice but to buy this type of bread. I am therefore going to attempt to make my own bread from scratch at the weekend to compare the taste and cost between the two. Any recipes would be muchly appreciated!

To view the full Genius range see their website for more info

I am now 4 days in to my gluten-free lifestyle and feeling optimistic. My husband made a beautiful gluten-free chilli with rice on the first night (it happens to be my favourite meal) and the only thing we needed to change from our original recipe in order to make it gluten free was use a gluten-free beef stock. We decided to use Knorr’s stock cubes as Oxo cubes are a definite no-no. Look out for a recipe in future blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment