Sunday 2 February 2014

Gluten-Free Fish & Chips at George's, Leek

Yes, you did hear me right...gluten-free fish & chips are now being served at my local chippy, George's on Broad Street, Leek.



I very nearly crashed my car when driving past my local chippy a few months ago. A new sign had been put up in the window advertising Gluten-free Sundays, the first Sunday of every month. This is very exciting news for Coeliacs living in Leek. Finally another place we can eat!

To offer my support I paid George's a visit on their opening Sunday to sample their gluten-free fish and chips and I was not disappointed. Since then I've been again and both times I've enjoyed beautiful fish and chips like a normal person.

Gluten-free fish and chips are served between 12-4pm on the first Sunday of every month. They use a completely separate fryer to fry the fish and chips in gluten-free batter so it's completely safe and free from contamination.

I ordered a small fish and chips and rushed home to tuck in. Now this is a small portion of fish and chips which I think is a pretty decent size and I can happily say I demolished the whole plateful.



It was so good to have "proper" chips again. You just can't beat chips from the chippy. The batter was light and crispy and not as thick as normal batter which meant you could taste the flavour of the fish a lot more. It was not as greasy as normal fish and chips which is definitely a bonus and in a way felt a bit healthier (probably wishful thinking). All in all these fish and chips tasted just as good as any fish and chips I've had pre-Coeliac days. Even my husband couldn't tell the difference.

It's so pleasing to see a chain of fish and chip shops like George's offering gluten-free Sundays. I really hope that the people of Leek support Gluten-free Sundays so that it stays for good. I certainly will be. I loved the fact that a family who came in to the shop after me ordered 5 portions of gluten-free fish and chips. If this is anything to go by the word is already being spread.

George's also have chip shops in Allestree, Belper, Chellaston, Chilwell, Ilkeston, Long Eaton, The Thorn Tree Inn, West Bridgford and Loughborough.

You can view their website here

Thank you George's for my first gluten-free fish and chips. I'm already looking forward to next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment