Thursday 1 May 2014

New gluten-free wraps at Costa Coffee

After my disappointment of not finding any of the new Tesco gluten-free sandwiches earlier this week (apparently they're only in selected stores - and not in my local one in Macclesfield) I was thrilled to get my hands on one of the new gluten-free wraps now sold in Costa Coffee.

The wraps were only released today Costa Coffee stores and today my luck was in as Costa in Macclesfield was stocked up.



One thing lacking in Macclesfield town centre is the availability of gluten-free sandwiches to grab on the go. If I haven't bought my own lunch to work with me I'm stuck. It's great that Costa Coffee have now released these tasty chicken and basil salad wraps in the run up to Coeliac Awareness Week. Also released in the same week were the Tesco/Genius Foods sandwiches I mentioned earlier - is this a coincidence? I think not.

Costa have teamed up with Warburton's Newburn Bakehouse square wraps and I am already a big fan of these as we use them all the time when we make fajitas. What I love about the square wraps is that they're really quite thick and really do hold their shape when wrapped together with the filling. The gluten-free sandwiches I have tried in the past (Genius rolls at Cafe Nero especially) have the tendency to fall apart after a while and you end up losing half the filling everywhere because the bread has split. Not with these wraps!

Still intact. No filling spillage!


The wraps are filled with British chicken and basil salad and are also dairy free as well as gluten-free

The wraps cost £3.70 which you may think is a little pricey - but to be honest, for me, I think the convenience of having a wrap to eat when you are out and about is definitely worth the money and I would pay £3.70 for one of these again. A pack of 3 wraps can cost £3.10 on their own if you buy them in the supermarket. And because the Newburn Bakehouse have already established themselves as a well known and trusted brand in the Coeliac community, you know you are getting a really great quality sandwich here.

I found there was a good amount of chicken in the wrap with a nice bit of salad (rocket and tomato) and a hint of basil mayonnaise. The only thing I would say is I would have liked a bit more of the mayonnaise - however I'm not too sure whether having more mayo would compromise the solidity of the wrap.


I would give the wraps a 10/10 score because they are just so tasty and satisfying. Thanks so much to Costa for introducing them in to their coffee shops. You can already find gluten-free chocolate brownies and mini bakewell tarts in Costa and I am positive that a savoury product will also be a big hit. Here's hoping for a couple more filling choices in the near future too.

I'm really interested to see whether any other companies jump on the gluten-free sandwich bandwagon in the run up to Coeliac Awareness Week (12th-18th May 2014). Watch this space...



3 comments:

  1. HI

    I recently found your blog and am interested in it as my other half can't eat gluten either. He's not coeliac, just wheat intolerant but is very sensitive to even the smallest amounts of wheat so we treat it as if he's coeliac! It is so hard when eating out and or trying to find a snack whilst out and the prices are annoying but it is great to see so many places getting clued up about gluten free foods now. Dave went wheat free 4 years ago at a time when there was nothing so it's great to see sandwiches finally hitting the shops, as well as the recent wave of gluten free pizzas available in restaurants and such.

    We live in Leek too!

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise,

      It's so great to find someone else living in Leek! I'm trying to blog about everywhere local to Leek (and further afield) that caters gluten-free so keep checking back for more reviews. I admit, it's hard at times finding places near where we live but like you say, more and more people are realising there's a real demand for gluten-free products/places to eat out so I'm confident we'll start seeing more and more places. I'd be interested to hear about any places you and your partner have found in and around Leek that are gluten-free.

      If you have any more questions or need any advice, just ask. I find there's so much help online nowadays and people you can talk to, there's a fab online community for Coeliacs/wheat-avoiders..

      Emma

      Delete
    2. Hi Emma, sorry I've only just seen this reply!

      We're not too sure on GF eating out as we only rarely eat out and I'm not working at the moment so money is tight! I think you already know that Primo do GF pasta and pizza and I think many of Leek's tea rooms offer at least something GF. We travel around the Peak District a lot as that's where I'm from, so we don't often eat out in Leek anyway - I'll let you know when I come across any good places further afield!

      Delete